
Unbelievable Joystation Guesthouse: Your Yilan, Taiwan Escape Awaits!
Unbelievable Joystation Guesthouse: Yilan, Taiwan - Prepare to Be…Well, Amazed (Maybe)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from a stay at Unbelievable Joystation Guesthouse in Yilan, Taiwan, and frankly, I'm still trying to process the whole experience. The website promised an "escape," and honestly? It delivered…in a few slightly bonkers ways. This ain't your cookie-cutter hotel review, folks. This is real talk, from someone who spent a few nights navigating the twists and turns of this "unbelievable" getaway.
(Because, honestly, trying to cram this into a neat little package feels deeply wrong.)
The Good Stuff (and the Slightly Odd):
Let's get the basics out of the way. They do have Free Wi-Fi in All Rooms! Hallelujah! Because, let's be honest, in this day and age, that's a baseline requirement. And, thankfully, the Wi-Fi held up, which is a massive win. I was able to keep up with my Insta-stories, which is crucial, you know? They also offer Internet Access – Wireless – even in the public areas. Good on you, Joystation! (Gotta give credit where credit's due.) I even spotted Internet [LAN] which feels a bit retro, but hey, if you're a purist, go for it!
Cleanliness and Safety: They Tried!
Okay, I'm a germaphobe, so this is important. They clearly were going for a super safe experience. The website boasts Anti-viral cleaning products, Professional-grade sanitizing services, and Daily disinfection in common areas. They also had Hand sanitizer readily available which I appreciated. I saw Staff trained in safety protocol, which is reassuring. It's not perfect, because life isn't perfect, but they were definitely making an effort. Did I see them use the Sterilizing equipment? Nope! But, I'm assuming it happened after I checked out. They even offered Room sanitization opt-out available – which, if you're extra paranoid, is a nice option. They also had the mandatory Fire extinguisher in the hallway, thank goodness.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag (Like Life!) The hotel definitely tries to be Wheelchair accessible, which is great. However, navigating everything does require a bit of patience. I can't personally testify to the accessibility, but from what I saw, they are trying to accommodate this. Facilities for disabled guests are listed, which, again, shows they try, but I didn't see this in action.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Adventure (Sometimes!)
They had a Restaurant. It offered an Asian breakfast which was actually pretty decent. (The congee was a winner!) They also had a Desserts in restaurant (always a plus!). The Breakfast [buffet] was okay, not life-changing. They offered Coffee/tea in restaurant (definitely needed that caffeine!), and a Snack bar if I needed a quick sugar fix. No complaints about the availability of Bottle of water, that was super important. But the Room service [24-hour]? I'm not sure about the actual delivery time.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax: Spa-tastic (Sort Of!)
Right, so here's where it gets interesting. The website promises Spa/sauna, and a Pool with view. Listen, I went to the advertised Spa and… well, let's just say I spent more time looking at the spa menu than actually having a spa treatment. They do advertise a Sauna, and a Steamroom, but I didn't personally get the chance to enjoy them. One of my friends says she was amazed by the Swimming pool [outdoor], and it's definitely a beautiful view. The Poolside bar was handy for keeping drinks refreshing in the afternoon sun.
Okay, listen. I will say though, I spent hours in their Foot bath. It's a small, overlooked thing, but after a long day of exploring Yilan's natural beauty (more on that later), it was absolute bliss. Seriously, a foot bath! Who knew? This is where you can really lose yourself.
Room to Roam (Maybe?)
My room was… well, it existed. It had Air conditioning, thank goodness – it gets hot in Taiwan. They offered Free bottled water (a lifesaver), Complimentary tea and a Coffee/tea maker. They provided Bathrobes and Slippers, and I think a Mirror, but honestly, I was too busy people-watching to use it. There were Blackout curtains, which were essential for sleeping in after a long day of exploring. The Non-smoking rooms were a welcome relief, and I saw a Smoke detector and Smoke alarms. The Desk was functional, and there was a Sofa to chill on. A Wake-up service was available but I didn't test it.
What About the Bits and Bobs?
They offered Car park [free of charge], which is essential because everything is so spread out. They had a Daily housekeeping, which was great, but, at times, it felt almost too vigilant. They even had a Gift/souvenir shop, which I, being one of the most thoughtful people, would have enjoyed greatly. They have a Concierge, if you need to get ahold of something. They claim to have Babysitting service, which is cool, if you have the kids. They have Luggage storage, which is handy if you arrive early or leave late. Laundry service? Yes! Dry cleaning? You got it!
The Extra Stuff – Services and Conveniences:
Joystation, in all its slightly chaotic glory, does offer a bunch of services. Air conditioning in public area is a given, you're thinking! They also have Cash withdrawal, Contactless check-in/out, and a Convenience store (very important for late-night snacks). There's also Currency exchange which is a bonus. They also offer Airport transfer, a Bicycle parking, and Car power charging station. They also have Taxi service, which is great if you don't want to drive.
The Yilan Experience (and a Bit of a Rant!)
Okay, so outside of the guesthouse, you're in Yilan. And Yilan is… well, it's beautiful. Think lush green mountains, cascading waterfalls, and rice paddies as far as the eye can see. There's a reason this place is known as "Taiwan's Breadbasket." It's picture-perfect, and I spent hours wandering around, taking photos, and generally just soaking it all in.
The problem? Getting around. As mentioned before, the hotel has Car park [free of charge], and I strongly recommend you rent a car. Public transport is… let's just say, an adventure (and not always in a good way).
The Quirky Details…and the Imperfections:
Here’s the thing: Unbelievable Joystation ain't perfect. And that’s part of its charm, maybe. The staff were trying, bless their hearts. There were some language barriers, but they were enthusiastic and eager to help. The quirky decorations in the lobby were odd, to say the least. The whole place felt almost…unpolished.
And a Couple's room option available. They have Non-smoking rooms, which is great.
The Bottom Line (and My Opinion!)
Would I recommend Unbelievable Joystation? That's tough. If you're looking for a perfectly polished, five-star experience, this ain't it. The website is a bit ambitious, the "unbelievable" sometimes leaning towards the slightly bizarre. However, it’s clean, safe, the staff tries, and the foot bath was amazing. And, you're in Yilan, which is stunning.
So, who is this guesthouse for?
- The Adventurous Traveler: Someone who doesn't mind a bit of quirk and isn't afraid to embrace the unexpected.
- The Bargain Hunter: The price is decent, especially considering the location.
- The Relaxer: If you're happy chilling by the pool (with a view!), and enjoying a foot bath and a good book, this place is perfect.
- The Explorer: If you want to explore Yilan and need a reasonably comfortable base to start from.
My Recommendation (and a Compelling Offer!):
Book Unbelievable Joystation Guesthouse: Your Yilan, Taiwan Escape Awaits!
Here's why you should do it NOW:
- Embrace the Unexpected: Experience a different kind of hotel stay. Forget bland and boring – Joystation offers a unique, slightly-kooky charm.
- Yilan Awaits: This location is pure gorgeousness! Explore the waterfalls, breathe the

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because you're about to get the REAL DEAL, the unvarnished, slightly-salty reality of a trip to Joystation Guesthouse in Yilan, Taiwan. Forget pristine brochures and perfect Instagram feeds. This is going to be a glorious, messy, and probably sleep-deprived rollercoaster. Here we go…
Joystation Yilan: A Disorganized Adventure - My Brain on Post-Jet Lag & Cheap Taiwanese Beer (and maybe a little bit of regret)
Day 1: Arrival & Initial Panic (or "Where the Heck Am I?")
- 4:00 AM (ish): Wake up. The alarm, a gentle suggestion, feels more like a jackhammer to the skull. Jet lag is a cruel mistress. Did I pack underwear? Did I even remember to pack underwear? This is the existential dread of the early bird, folks.
- 5:00 AM - 7:00 AM: The airport. Immigration. The smell of freedom (or, you know, the smell of stale airplane air mixed with anxious sweat). Finding the train. Praying the Mandarin I "sort of" learned on Duolingo will suffice. Spoiler alert: it won't.
- 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Train to Yilan. The scenery is… beautiful, actually. Lush green rice paddies, distant mountains. It's hard to complain when you're staring out the window and the worst thing that's happened is that the guy beside you is eating something that smells suspiciously like fermented durian. I’m still not sure if I’ll be able to eat anything for a while after that.
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Finding Joystation. Okay, Google Maps, don't fail me now. (Spoiler #2: it almost did, leading me down three alleyways of dubious repute. I’m pretty sure I saw a stray cat give me the stink eye, and for a moment I thought “is this a bad omen?”) The guesthouse itself… well, it's charmingly… characterful. Think vintage wallpaper, a slightly leaky tap, and a pervasive sense of "lived-in-ness." My room? Let's just say the walls tell stories.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Check-in and first impression. The staff are super friendly, speaking perfectly good English. They give you advice and all that. The place is comfy, so thumbs up.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Unpacking, showering and getting ready to go out. This is where the jetlag really hits. I will definitely be napping later.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Lunch and exploring the local area. Found a FANTASTIC dumpling place. (I'm pretty sure I ate enough to keep them in business for the next year.) I also stumbled into a temple. Incense, chanting, a general sense of "wow, this is different." Emotional reaction: A mild feeling of being an outsider, followed by a wave of "this is amazing."
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: The first crash. Naptime! I’m so tired.
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Wake up, feeling slightly disoriented. A snack (more dumplings, obviously). I decide to check out a night market.
- 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM: Night market mayhem! Food stalls, flashing lights, the delicious chaos of it all. I bought a ridiculously oversized bubble tea and spent a solid hour trying to figure out how to eat a pineapple on a stick without looking like a total idiot (success!). The most memorable part? Witnessing a fierce competition for a giant stuffed panda bear. The sheer intensity of the game… it was almost as if their lives depended on it. I swear I could feel my stress level decreasing with every throw. Emotional reaction: utter, unadulterated glee.
Day 2: Surfing, Seafood, and the Aftermath (or "My Body Hurts in Places I Didn't Know Existed")
- 8:00 AM: Morning person? Not today. Drag myself out of bed, limbs heavy with the (relative) luxury of sleep. Coffee is a necessity.
- 9:00 AM: Surfing lesson! (Mistake #1: assuming "beginner" means "effortless fun." It does not.) The waves are… well, they’re waves. I spent most of the time face-planting into the foamy abyss. I’m pretty sure I swallowed half the ocean. My instructor, bless his heart, had the patience of a saint. I finally managed to stand up for like, 2 seconds. Victory! Pain! More pain!
- 12:00 PM: Seafood feast! My reward for surviving the surfing experience. Freshly caught fish, grilled to perfection. The flavor was just incredible. It was really worth the effort I’d spent earlier.
- 2:00 PM: Exploring the nearby coastal scenery I don't know its name. I walk. The beach is beautiful, even if my legs are screaming. The salty air, the sound of the waves… it was good. The emotional reaction: A sense of calm and peacefulness.
- 4:00 PM: I find a local library and sit for about 30 minutes.
- 5:00 PM: Back to Joystation. I rest. My god, I need to rest. I’m seriously wondering if I’ve overdone it.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. I found a really nice restaurant, and I decide on getting a big plate of pasta. It was just what I needed.
Day 3: Rain, Reflections, and a Late Departure (or "Maybe I'll Stay?")
- 9:00 AM: Ugh, the rain. It's one of those soft, persistent rains that feels like a personal attack on your happiness. But hey, it's Taiwan. Embrace the weather.
- 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM: I went to a museum and looked at some paintings. The emotional reaction: Bored. Okay, I'm not a museum person.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Lunch at a local bakery. I try a croissant.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Just wandering around, letting the rain wash over me. I’m thinking about whether I should stay another day. I think I need to.
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Back to the guesthouse. Packing. More packing. I think I am going to rebook for another day.
- 7:00 PM: Decided. I rebooked! Another day. I'm going to try to find some more great food spots.
The Fine Print (aka Things You Might Not See on the Glossy Brochures):
- The Bed: It squeaks. Loudly. Every time I move. Which is often. (Maybe slightly less now, since I’m so tired.)
- The Mosquitoes: They exist. Bring bug spray, and consider it a necessary accessory.
- The Language Barrier: I'm still grappling with basic phrases. But gestures, smiles, and a willingness to look utterly incompetent are your best friends.
- The Food: Get ready to eat things you’ve never heard of. Embrace it. Trust me. You'll be surprised.
- The Bathroom: It works. Sometimes.
- The Overall Vibe: A wholehearted embrace of the "imperfect." It's a place that feels like a hug. It’s not fancy, but it’s real.
The Conclusion (because every good mess needs an ending):
This trip to Yilan? It’s been an adventure. An exhausting, exhilarating, slightly muddy adventure. I got lost (multiple times). I ate things that made me question my life choices (and a whole lot of dumplings). I fell in the ocean. Twice. I'm bruised, sunburnt, and probably wearing clothes that have seen better days. But you know what? I wouldn't trade it for anything. Joystation isn’t about luxury, it's about connection, about getting a taste of real life, stumbling onto something beautiful in an unexpected place, and leaving a little bit of yourself behind. And if that means I’m still slightly jet-lagged, then so be it. Because sometimes, the best adventures are the ones that leave you a little bit… messy.
Escape to Paradise: Sportico Resort Bangalore's Luxury Awaits!
Okay, *Unbelievable* Joystation. That's a bold name. What's the deal? Is it actually...unbelievable?
Alright, buckle up, because "Unbelievable" isn't just marketing fluff. My first thought? "This HAS to be some kind of joke." Turns out, it's less unbelievably *perfect* and more unbelievably... *characterful*. The name's a nod to Yilan's love of gaming, and trust me, the Joystation's owner (a guy named Kevin, bless his heart) is *passionate*. He's got a retro arcade machine in the common area! But hold on, it's more than just a gamer's paradise. It's... well, let's just say it's an experience. You show up thinking you're getting a clean room and maybe a decent breakfast. You *leave* with stories.
Location, Location, Location! Where exactly *is* this Joystation of Unbelievable-ness? Is it easy to get to?
It's in Yilan City, which is pretty darn convenient. Walking distance from the night market? Not quite, but a short cab ride is your ticket to foodie heaven! (Worth it, trust me.) The train station? Yep, also a short cab ride, or if you're feeling ambitious, a decent walk. (I walked. Once. My calves were *screaming* the next day. I blame the amazing street food I'd devoured beforehand.) The only real "issue" is parking. It's a bit tight if you're driving, which, you know, is pretty much par for the course in Taiwan. But there usually is street parking.... I hope you got lucky!
The Rooms! What's the inside like? Cozy? Modern? Does it include a secret video game console? BECAUSE I'M INTRIGUED.
Okay, the rooms are... well, they're clean. *Mostly*. Look, this isn't a five-star hotel, alright? Don't go expecting marble bathrooms. I loved them, though. The decor is kind of... eclectic. Think bright colors. Think maybe a slightly-too-loud anime poster or two (hey, that's part of the charm, right?!). Space? It was better than some of the tiny apartments I was living in Taipei a time ago. Think the word 'comfortable'. Plus, here's the truth - you're in Yilan! You're supposed to be *out* exploring, hitting those incredible rice paddies and waterfalls, right? Plus, yes! They have a selection of consoles, but nothing as high-tech as a new PlayStation. It adds to the charm, I think. The charm of "Oh, that's not super high-tech."
Food, glorious food! Breakfast? Dinner? Local delights? Give me the details!
Breakfast is... well, breakfast is *included*. Don't expect a Michelin-starred meal, okay? It's usually some sort of toast, maybe eggs, some fruit... It's enough to get you going, and you'll be so busy planning your food adventure that you won't care. Yilan is a *foodie paradise*. Seriously. The night market is LEGENDARY. The scallion pancakes are a religious experience. The duck noodles will make you weep tears of joy. (I might be exaggerating slightly... but not by much.) Kevin can probably give you some recommendations. He definitely *talks* food. Quite a lot. But in a good way. Just be prepared for a potential lecture on the proper way to eat a braised pork rice bowl...which, look, might be useful?
The Arcade! Tell me more about the retro games! Did you *actually* play?!
OH.MY.GOD. The arcade machine. It's not just a gimmick. It's a *portal*. I’m not even kidding, walking into that common area, seeing that thing…it just transported me back to my childhood. The clatter of buttons, the nostalgic sounds… I was *hooked*. I played Pac-Man for like, an hour straight (Kevin and I even had a mini-tournament - he utterly destroyed me). It's the perfect icebreaker. I made friends with total strangers while frantically mashing buttons. Also, sometimes, the machine would glitch. Which, honestly, just added to the charm. One morning, I was getting ready, and Kevin was there cleaning things up. I said "Hey Kevin, that arcade machine is a great idea!" And he had the biggest smile on his face. He totally loves it. And I loved that *he* loved it. That's the heart of the Joystation -- Kevin.
What about the host, Kevin? Is he... nice? Overbearing? A secret video game guru? Spill the tea!
Kevin is… well, he’s Kevin. He's a quintessential Taiwanese host, which means he’s friendly, helpful, and probably wants to make sure you’re having THE BEST TIME EVER. Maybe a *little* overbearing if you're not used to Taiwanese hospitality – he *will* offer you things. Lots of things. And expect him to ask how your day was. Frequently. But honestly? It's endearing. He’s genuinely enthusiastic about Yilan and wants to share it with you. He's not a guru, not unless the guru is well-versed in local snacks and hidden hiking trails. He's basically a walking, talking Yilan guidebook... with a love of arcade games. Be prepared to talk about your plans – and likely get some unsolicited, but probably incredibly helpful, advice. Tip: Don't say you *don't* like Taiwanese tea. Just... don’t. (He’ll probably offer you some.)
Is this place good for families? Couples? Solo travelers? Or is it only for the hardcore gamers?
I saw a mix of people! There were couples huddled around the arcade machine... which was adorable! There were families playing games together and laughing. And there were solo travelers, like myself, who were easily drawn into conversations. It definitely appeals to gamers, but honestly, it’s got a broader appeal. If you appreciate a bit of quirkiness, a friendly atmosphere, and a convenient location, you'll probably love it. If you're looking for ultra-luxury and serenity, maybe not. But if you want an authentic, fun experience? Definitely worth it. Also, as a solo traveler, sometimes you just need a familiar face, and Kevin is great at that. He'll ask you how your adventures are going, and generally make you feel really seen. It's a really good feeling, especially if you've been traveling for a while.
Any downsides? Be honest! (Besides the slightly dated decor...)
Okay, let's be real. This isn't the Four Seasons. Sometimes... the AC might be a *little* cranky. The Wi-Fi? Occasionally a bit slow (but hey, you're in Yilan! Go outside!). Parking can be a painHotel Bliss Search

