Escape to Paradise: Unforgettable Costa Rica Getaway at Hotel de Montana Suria

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Escape to Paradise: Unforgettable Costa Rica Getaway at Hotel de Montana Suria

Escape to Paradise: Hotel de Montana Suria – My Costa Rican Confessions (and Why You Should Book NOW!)

Okay, buckle up, Buttercups, because I’m finally back from my Costa Rican dream (aka, weeks of torrential downpours with sporadic sunshine and a whole lot of hummingbirds!) and I’m bursting to tell you about Hotel de Montana Suria. Forget the manicured reviews; this is the real deal, warts and all (and believe me, this place is mostly shiny, but I'll tell you about the one tiny wart later).

First Impressions (and My Dumb Phone’s Mishap)

Landing in Costa Rica? Get ready to sweat (in a good way, usually). Arriving at Suria was stunning. Seriously, stunning. This isn't just a hotel; it's a vibe. Perched high on a mountain (hence the "de Montana" part), you're instantly hit with views that’ll make you question all your life choices (in a good way, I swear!). And this is where my phone decided to do the ultimate diva move and die. No photos. Nada. Zip. Argh! But hey, at least I could truly experience it, right? (Cue a dramatic sigh.)

Accessibility? Crucial. And Suria Gets it.

Right, so, accessibility. This is HUGE for me, and Suria really shined here. They get it. Facilities for disabled guests are on point, and while I didn't personally need a wheelchair, the fact that Elevators are present and everything is generally designed with movement and ease of access in mind is a massive win in my book. They've thought about it, and that's a sign of a truly thoughtful place.

Rooms: Sanctuary Found (with a Side of Laundry)

My non-smoking room was an absolute haven. Seriously, the Air conditioning was a lifesaver (especially in Costa Rica's humidity!), and the Blackout curtains were an absolute godsend for sleeping in (because, let's be honest, you will want to!). The Extra long bed was heavenly – I’m tall, and finally felt like I wasn’t hanging off the edge. And the Free Wi-Fi (and Wi-Fi in all rooms!) was a lifesaver for keeping in touch (when my phone would deign to work!) They also have Internet access – LAN if you're old-school or paranoid about your data (I get it!). The Toiletries were lovely, the Bathrobes were fluffy, and the Hair dryer actually, you know, worked. Bonus points for the In-room safe box (I’m a worrier) and the Mini bar (for those sneaky midnight snacks, you know the drill!). The Daily housekeeping kept things spotless (seriously, Cleanliness and safety are top-notch here!), and the Daily disinfection in common areas made me feel super safe. Oh, and there was a desk, a Laptop workspace (which I barely used, because, vacation!), and even a Socket near the bed (thank you, thank you!). Now, here’s the teeny wart: the Ironing facilities… well, let's just say my wrinkle-prone wardrobe made me appreciate the Laundry service even more than usual!

Food, Glorious Food (and My Vegetarian Struggles!)

Okay, let's talk food. Dining, drinking, and snacking are a major part of the whole Costa Rican experience, and Suria doesn't disappoint. They cater to pretty much everything.

  • Restaurants: The Restaurants offered amazing International cuisine in restaurant and Western cuisine in restaurant options, that will make you want to take a moment to taste the wonderful ingredients.
  • And for Veggies: If you're a veggie like me, you'll be thrilled with the Vegetarian restaurant on-site, It had plenty of options. They also happily accommodated Alternative meal arrangement requests.
  • Breakfast is King, and the Buffet Reigns: Breakfast at Suria? Amazing. The Breakfast [buffet] was epic (and I'm not usually a buffet person!). Tons of fresh fruit, Coffee/tea in restaurant, pastries, and eggs cooked every way imaginable. I loaded up every morning and it set the tone for the entire day. They also have Breakfast takeaway service, if you want a quick bite.
  • Lunch and Dinner Delights: From Salad in restaurant to Soup in restaurant, even the Asian cuisine in restaurant was a nice change of pace. The A la carte in restaurant menu offered varied choices.
  • Happy Hour Heroes: The Poolside bar was a prime spot to chill, sipping something cold and watching the sunset. Happy hour? Yes, please!
  • Snacks Al Fresco: The Snack bar was perfect for grabbing a quick bite.
  • The Drink-Me Potion: Bottle of water magically appeared in the room daily.
  • Room Service is Always a Good Idea: When that afternoon nap is too good to give up, the Room service [24-hour] is a lifesaver!
  • I Didn't See it, But It's There: They also had a Coffee shop and Desserts in restaurant.

Things to Do (Beyond Just Existing in Paradise)

Okay, so you're not just going to sit around and eat (though, let's be honest, a lot of that happened). Here are some of the Things to do, ways to relax:

  • Spa-tacular Bliss: The Spa is a must! And they boast a Spa/sauna and Steamroom. Treat yourself to a Body scrub and Body wrap – your skin will thank you!
  • Pool with a View: The Swimming pool [outdoor] is just gorgeous! The Pool with view is great too. Soaking up the Costa Rican sun while sipping a cocktail? Heaven.
  • Sweat it Out (If You’re Into That): There’s a Fitness center if you want to burn off all those delicious meals (not me, but you do you!).
  • More Relaxing Options: Foot bath, Massage. Sauna.

Cleanliness and Safety: Peace of Mind (Important!)

Honestly, I felt incredibly safe and clean at Suria. Anti-viral cleaning products are used, they have Professional-grade sanitizing services, and the Rooms sanitized between stays. They even offer Room sanitization opt-out available (if you're that person!). The Staff trained in safety protocol really made me feel comfortable. The First aid kit and Doctor/nurse on call are nice touches. They also use Hot water linen and laundry washing and have Hygiene certification. They also use Individually-wrapped food options, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, and promote Physical distancing of at least 1 meter. They even have Hand sanitizer at every turn.

Services and Conveniences: They Thought of Everything!

Okay, this is where Suria truly shines. They have Air conditioning in public area, Cash withdrawal, Concierge (amazing for booking tours and answering all my questions!), Contactless check-in/out (smooth!), Daily housekeeping (seriously efficient!), a Doorman, Dry cleaning, an Elevator, Essential condiments. they offer Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Luggage storage, and Safety deposit boxes.

  • Business and Events: Business facilities, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Indoor venue for special events, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center,
  • Getting around: Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking.
  • For the Kids: Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal.
  • Extra Touches: Cashless payment service, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailable, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace.

The Big Question: Why Should You Book?

Okay, so here's the deal: Hotel de Montana Suria is not just a place to sleep; it's an experience. It's about waking up to breathtaking views, indulging in delicious food, and letting go of all your worries. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, the facilities

Escape to Paradise: Kasol's Riverfront Hotel Mid Orchard Awaits!

Book Now

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Alright, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your sanitized, Instagram-perfect travel itinerary. This is real life, baby, and we're heading to Hotel de Montana Suria in San Gerardo de Dota, Costa Rica. Prepare for the messy, the beautiful, and the downright hilarious. Consider this, a travel plan with a healthy dose of existential dread and a dash of questionable decision-making.

The Great Quetzal Quest (and Possibly My Sanity) - San Gerardo de Dota, Costa Rica

Day 1: Arrival & The Pre-Quetzal Panic

  • Morning (Because planes, right?): Arrive at Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO). Okay, so first HUGE hurdle. Immigration. Lord help me, I'm half-expecting to get held back and questioned about my life choices by a bored customs officer. (I'm mostly prepared to cry if I'm being honest). Smooth sailing (so far).
  • The Shuttle of Doom: Hop onto the pre-booked shuttle to Suria. I'm praying the driver isn't a speed demon. My stomach already feels like a rollercoaster anticipating the mountain roads.
  • Afternoon - Getting Settled (and Pretending to Be Zen): Check into Hotel de Montana Suria. Ah, the view. Holy crap. The photos don't do it justice. Lush green, misty mountains, tiny specks of houses… it's breathtaking. I'm immediately filled with the urge to write a novel, quit my job, and live off the land. I am, though, slightly worried about the spider webs… everywhere. Okay, deep breaths. Focus.
  • Late Afternoon - The Pre-Quetzal Jitters: Wandering, drinking some Costa Rican coffee (amazing, obviously), and starting to research my trip to see the elusive Quetzal. I find a local guide, just in case I get lost and need guidance on my quest.
  • Evening - Dinner, Drinks, and Existential Dread: Dinner at the hotel (I'm sure they have something, I'm not expecting a Michelin star, but I'm hungry). A beer or two to calm the nerves. I'm suddenly very aware of how small I am in the face of all this natural beauty. Should I even bother looking for this fancy bird? What if I fail? What if I accidentally feed it a crumb of my sandwich and screw up the local ecosystem? Maybe just take a nap and forget the whole thing…

Day 2: The Quetzal Hunt – A Love Story (Probably) & My Legs' Betrayal

  • Early, very early Morning (Like, pre-dawn): Up before the sun, ready for my first Quetzal hunt. The guide is a gruff, but kind local, who seems to have eyes like a hawk. Armed with binoculars (and a slight hangover), we head into the forest.
  • Morning's Hunt: Walking hours. The mist. The birdsong. The… sheer exhaustion of my legs. The ground is uneven, slippery, and full of roots that seem actively trying to trip me. I stumble. I swear under my breath. I consider giving up and going back to bed. But, the guide is so passionate!
  • The Moment! (Or, Did I Even See It?): Suddenly, he points. "Quetzal!" My heart leaps. I see… something. A flash of green and red. Is that it? Did I really see a Quetzal? I’m not sure. All I know is that I got a glimpse of a beautiful bird.
  • Brunch time: The guides serve fresh fruits and coffee, I relax on the chair. I can't stop smiling.
  • Afternoon - Hiking With More Birds: After brunch, our guide takes us to another bird viewing spot. The area is beautiful, and I get to see some cool birds.
  • Late Afternoon – Reward & Regret: Back at the hotel, I have a beer. The Quetzal hunt was not easy, but I'm not sure I'll ever recover… and so, worth it. I feel the urge to get the Quetzal tattooed on my body. I decide to not do it.

Day 3: Waterfall Whispers & Muddy Memories

  • Morning - The Waterfall Chase: Hike to a nearby waterfall. It's glorious! Pure, cold, exhilarating water. I jump in (yes, even though it's freezing!), and feel like a new person. The air is so clean, the world is so loud, so alive. I realize, with a jolt, that I haven't felt this happy in… a while.
  • Afternoon - A Muddy Mess: My hiking boots are starting to fall apart, so I think that's why I slipped into the mud. After the waterfall, I took a walk, and the mud was the last thing I expected. I came out half covered in mud, but I didn't care.
  • Late Afternoon - Reflection and Planning: Some reading in the hotel room. There's a cozy fireplace and a little balcony. I get to plan the next travel destination.
  • Evening – Farewell Dinner (and a Few Tears?) A final delicious dinner at the hotel. Saying goodbye to this place will be harder than I thought. I've become strangely attached to the mist, the quiet, and the almost-unbearable beauty. Maybe a few too many beers and a sudden awareness that I’m going back to the “real world” tomorrow, results in a few tears.

Day 4: Departure – (Probably Crying Again)

  • Morning – The Last Sunrise: One last look at the mountains and a hearty breakfast. I'm already missing the quiet.
  • The Shuttle Saga, Part 2: Shuttle back to SJO, trying to mentally prepare myself for the chaos of the airport. Goodbye, San Gerardo de Dota. You weird, beautiful, soul-soothing place.
  • Departure (More Tears, Less Dignity): Plane home. I will never forget this trip.

Things I might forget to mention:

  • The Bugs: They're there. They bite. Bring bug spray.
  • The Weather: Pack layers. Mountain weather can change on a dime.
  • The Food: Eat everything. Everything is delicious. Especially the coffee.
  • The People: The Costa Rican people are incredibly kind and welcoming. Embrace it.
  • My Sanity: May or may not be recovered upon my return.

Final Thoughts:

This trip wasn’t just about seeing birds or waterfalls. It was about shaking off the dust of daily life, reconnecting with myself, embracing the messiness, and finding a little slice of heaven (or, at least, a really beautiful mountain). And hey, even if I didn't see a Quetzal every day (which I didn't), the journey itself was worth it. Don't be afraid to get lost, to stumble, to laugh (or cry) at yourself. That's where the real adventures begin.

Escape to Paradise: BR Suites Hotel Navegantes, Brazil - Your Dream Vacation Awaits!

Book Now

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

So, Costa Rica... is it really *that* amazing? Like, ridiculously so?

Okay, brace yourself. Because the answer is... mostly. Look, my expectations were sky-high, fueled by Instagram and, you know, the whole "pura vida" promise. And while it wasn't *perfect* (more on that later, oh yes, there's a "later"), Costa Rica at the Hotel de Montana Suria... it's a contender for the "most breathtaking place I've ever seen" award. Seriously. Waking up to the sounds of monkeys (who, FYI, sometimes steal your breakfast… true story – rogue monkey, I’m naming him Kevin) and that insane view of the mountains… yeah, it’s postcard-worthy every single damn morning.

Let's talk about the Hotel de Montana Suria. What's the vibe? Is it fancy schmancy or… chill?

Chill, with a capital C. It's not the Ritz, thank God. Think rustic luxury. Think wood, exposed beams, balconies that practically beg you to sit and stare at the view for hours (which, I did, many, many times). The staff are super friendly, and honestly, they made me feel like a slightly clumsy but well-meaning friend. They aren't robots, which is a freaking *blessing* in these hospitality times. I spilled coffee on my first morning. They just laughed. PURELY. That, right there, tells you a lot. It’s more "laid back luxury" than "stuffy perfection". Thank the heavens.

Okay, what about the food? Because, let's be honest, that can make or break a vacation.

Okay, so the food… was a roller coaster. Some days, I was genuinely blown away. The breakfast? Forget about it; I ate like a freaking King. Tropical fruits you've never even heard of, eggs cooked every way imaginable, and that *coffee*… I brought back enough to power a small city. Then? There was the occasional moment of, shall we say, *less* excitement. One night, the chicken was… well, let's just say I’m pretty sure it wasn’t quite that well-cooked. But, hey, nobody's perfect, and the overall experience? Delicious. Just, maybe skip the chicken at night. (My opinion only!) And the casados? Oh man, the casados. Rice and beans, plantains, your choice of meat. Pure comfort, pure deliciousness. You *have* to try a casado. I practically lived on them. Probably.

What activities are there? I'm not one for sitting still. Well, I *try* not to be.

Oh, you're in luck! Loads. Ziplining! YES! Terrifying, exhilarating ziplining through the jungle. I screamed a lot. But the views! The views! Oh, the views! Hiking trails galore, waterfalls you can swim in (brrrr, but refreshing!), horseback riding (which, honestly, felt slightly silly, because I’m no cowboy, but hey, do it!), and of course, exploring other areas. You name it. It's all there. Just... pace yourself. Costa Rica is exhausting in the best way possible. The heat, the humidity… It drains you. But the adrenaline keeps you going.

The wildlife! I've seen the photos. Are they real? Are there *actual* monkeys?

YES! The monkeys are real! The sloths are real! The toucans are real! It's a freaking zoo, people! In a good way. Seriously, I spent an embarrassing amount of time just staring at the monkeys swinging through the trees. They are mischievous little buggers, though. Did I mention the breakfast-stealing monkey named Kevin? I saw a sloth, but only from afar. Because, well, sloths don't do much in the way of moving quickly, right? And so pretty. Don't forget to pack binoculars. You will regret it, if you don't.

How should I pack? And should I learn some Spanish? (I'm bad with languages)

Pack light, but smart. Quick-drying clothes, hiking boots, a good raincoat (it rains, duh), sunscreen, bug spray (absolutely DO NOT forget the bug spray!), and comfortable shoes. A basic understanding of Spanish would be *immensely* helpful. Even just knowing how to say "hello," "thank you," and "water" will get you further than you think. The locals appreciate any effort, even if you butcher the pronunciation (which, I did. Frequently). Learn a few phrases beforehand. The effort is appreciated, and you will feel less like a complete idiot.

Best thing about the trip? The worst? Come on, give me the real deal.

Best thing? That feeling of being utterly, completely, and ridiculously *present*. Disconnecting from the world, and connecting with nature. The views. The people. The entire experience. It was something else. Worst thing? Leaving. Seriously. I wanted to stay. I would have. And, let's be honest, sometimes the Wi-Fi sucks… which can be great (forced digital detox!) and sometimes not so great (trying to upload that incredible photo of the volcano and failing miserably). Oh, and the chicken. Just the chicken on that one night. And you know that saying "time flies when you're having fun"? It's utterly true.

Tell me about the ziplining. I'm terrified of heights.

Okay, so the ziplining… I'm not great with heights. Let's just put it that way. The thought of being suspended hundreds of feet in the air, zipping through the jungle canopy… yeah, it gave me the serious heebie-jeebies. But everyone insisted! The guides are amazing, they are well trained and have got your back. (They literally clip you on and keep you safe!) So, I did it. And I screamed the entire first run. A high-pitched, slightly hysterical scream that probably startled every monkey within a five-mile radius. My face was the colour of a tomato. My hands were clammy, and I was convinced I was going to die. But then… I reached the end. And you know what? The second line was easier. And the third. Suddenly, the fear melted away, replaced by pure, unadulterated joy. The wind in my hair, the views… it was FREAKING AMAZING. Later, I even started to, dare I say, *enjoy* it. I got braver. I tried to look at the scenery (mostly while hanging upside down and shrieking). It was one of the most terrifying, exhilarating, and ultimately rewarding experiences of my life, and as I think about it, I wouldn't have exchanged it for anything. If they asked me to do it again? I'd be in the queue!

Luxury Stay Blog

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica

Hotel de Montana Suria San Gerardo de Dota Costa Rica