
De La Hilcremat Cape Town: Uncover the Hidden Gem of South Africa!
De La Hilcremat Cape Town: My Honest (and Slightly Messy) Take on This "Hidden Gem"
Okay, so, De La Hilcremat Cape Town. South Africa. Been seeing a lot of hype. “Hidden Gem,” they say. Well, I’ve just spent a week there, and let me tell you, it’s… complicated. Let’s break it down, shall we? Because honestly, this place threw a few curveballs, and I'm here to spill the tea, the rooibos tea, and maybe a bit of the wine too.
First Impressions (and the Inevitable Struggle with Accessibility):
Right off the bat, accessibility. This is something that needs serious work in South Africa in general, and De La Hilcremat is, sadly, no exception. While they list "Facilities for disabled guests," I'm not entirely confident they're fully up to par. The website is vague. More details would be hugely helpful. Clearer pathways, ramps, and detailed information would be greatly appreciated because at the moment it’s all in “best intentions” territory. I’m not in a wheelchair, but navigating some areas felt a little… hilly. Which, hey, Cape Town, I get it. But be upfront about it. This is a HUGE area for improvement and a major consideration for some travelers.
The Sanitization Symphony (and the Slight Overkill):
Let’s talk about cleanliness and safety. I’m generally a germaphobe, especially post-pandemic so I was THRILLED to see the extensive measures. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, room sanitization between stays, and professional-grade sanitizing services? Check, check, and check. They have hand sanitizer everywhere, staff seemed super diligent in safety protocols. They even had individually-wrapped food options and a safe dining setup. Honestly, it felt a little overkill at times. Like, you could build a sterile lab in this place. But hey, better safe than sorry, right? The fact they allow you to opt out of room sanitization is a nice touch.
Getting Comfy (and the Lack of Comfy):
Available in all rooms: Okay, let's get into the nitty-gritty of the rooms. Generally, the basics are there: Air conditioning, air conditioning in public area, alarm clock, bathrobes, blackout curtains, coffee/tea maker, even complimentary tea (!). They keep the daily housekeeping going. My room (a “non-smoking” one, thank goodness) had a desk (perfect for work, or pretending to do work), a decent-sized refrigerator, and a safety/security feature – the lock on the door. Not a bad start.
However… the bed. Oh, the bed. It was… firm. Like, really firm. If you enjoy sleeping on a plank of wood, you're in heaven. If, like me, you prefer something a little less orthopedic, bring a pillow-top mattress. And the window that opens…a nice touch for fresh air (which you'll need after a heavy dose of the firm bed).
Internet Angst (and the Surprisingly Good News):
Internet: This is where things get a little confusing. They boast Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Internet access – wireless. And those are both mostly true.. They also have Internet access – LAN. Which, let’s be honest, who uses LAN anymore? I did get a good signal in the public areas and Wi-Fi in public areas, however, the streaming was a bit spotty in my room.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (and My Stomach's Adventure):
Okay, the food. This is where De La Hilcremat really swings for the fences, and… lands sometimes, and completely misses other times.
- Restaurants: There are restaurants, plural! Yes, plural! Including a vegetarian restaurant (score!), and options for Asian cuisine in the restaurant;
- Breakfast: The breakfast [buffet] was pretty decent, with a selection of Western breakfast options including things like Coffee/tea in restaurant, and buffet classics. They also had a breakfast service which you could get in your room;
- The Poolside Bar: Where I had some absolutely delicious cocktails and took in the pool with view -- my favourite part of the whole place!
- Snacks and More: They have a snack bar, which is a lifesaver. However, skip the Asian food, it's a little… off. Stick to the local fare or the safe bets.
Things to Do (and My Attempt to Relax):
Alright, the "Hidden Gem" promise starts to shine here, in some ways. De La Hilcremat offers a decent range of things to do and ways to relax:
- The Spa: This is where it gets interesting. I went straight for the massage. The spa itself is lovely, with a sauna, spa/sauna, and steamroom. I got a Body wrap. The masseuse (a lovely woman named Nomusa) was fantastic. It was pure bliss.
- The Pool: Beautiful. The swimming pool [outdoor] is gorgeous with a Pool with view.
- Fitness center. Yes, there's a gym/fitness area. I didn't venture in (because, let’s be honest, I was there to EAT, not exercise), but I heard it was well-equipped.
- Other Activities They could do with adding more of these!
Services and Conveniences (and the Bits That Were Actually Convenient):
De La Hilcremat offers a pretty comprehensive list of services and conveniences.
- Really good options: There's a concierge, currency exchange, dry cleaning, daily housekeeping, laundry service, and a gift/souvenir shop. They also have room service [24-hour], which is a godsend.
- Extras: There's an airport transfer (necessary), car park [on-site] (bonus) and a taxi service. Also handy were the cash withdrawal, and luggage storage facilities.
For the Kids (and My Lack of Kids-Related Experience):
Okay, I'm not traveling with kids, so take this with a grain of salt. De La Hilcremat seems to be family/child friendly, with babysitting service and kids meal options. But, again, I can't personally vouch for it. Seems like they're trying, which is a good start.
The Verdict (and the Emotional Rollercoaster):
Would I recommend De La Hilcremat Cape Town? It’s complex. As a "hidden gem" it is trying. It has some strengths, some weaknesses, and a few quirks.
Here's the thing: I genuinely enjoyed my stay, despite the imperfections. It’s safe, relatively clean, and has some genuinely lovely people working there. The spa and pool made everything worthwhile. The firmness of the bed and the hit-or-miss food are forgivable.
The Offer (and Why You Should Book It):
The "Hidden Gem" label is a bit misleading. It's more of a "rough diamond" that has a bit of polish. I'd say this would be a good hotel for:
- Travellers prioritizing safety and cleanliness
- Those who appreciate good spa treatments
- People happy to overlook a few flaws in exchange for a decent deal
De La Hilcremat Cape Town - Uncover the Hidden Gem of South Africa Book Your Stay Today! Special Offer: Book during this limited period and get a complimentary Spa Treatment of your choice!
Why Book Now?
- Safety and Security: Experience a worry-free vacation with top-notch hygiene and security protocols.
- Relaxation Guaranteed: Indulge in the world-class Spa, pool and view.
- Convenience: Enjoy a wide range of services, from in-room dining to concierge assistance.
- Perfect Base: Explore Cape Town's vibrant culture and breathtaking landscapes, with easy access to all major attractions.
Book your Stay now, and discover the hidden gem of South Africa for yourself!
Dublin IFSC Homestay: Luxury Apartment Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercup, because this isn't your standard, sanitized travel itinerary. This is me in Cape Town, South Africa, and frankly, it’s gonna be a glorious, glorious mess. Expect a few wrong turns, a lot of "WTF was that?", and possibly a minor emotional breakdown or two. Consider yourself warned!
De La Haye Guesthouse, Cape Town: My Semi-Planned Descent into Chaos (and Beauty)
Day 1: Arrival and the "Oh My God, It's Actually Real" Feeling
- Morning (ish - because jet lag, let's be honest): Land at Cape Town International Airport. Okay, so the landing was a little…rough. Felt like we hit every pothole on the planet, but hey, we're here! First impressions? The air smells different. Cleaner? Brighter? Maybe it's just the sheer adrenaline of being somewhere this far away. Grabbed my bags, which thankfully arrived (a small victory!), and wrestled a taxi to De La Haye Guesthouse in Tamboerskloof. The driver? A chatty, lovely man who told me all about the local rugby team, the Stormers, despite my bewildered expression. Turns out, that is important in Cape Town. Who knew?
- Afternoon: Check in. Honestly, the guesthouse is even prettier than the pictures. Lush garden, the smell of jasmine, and a view of Table Mountain that almost made me weep. Almost. Maybe I'm just hormonal or something. Okay, yeah, I cried. A little.
- Imperfection Alert: The key to my room got stuck immediately. I am not mechanically inclined. Spent a frantic five minutes jiggling and sweating before a kind staff member rescued me. Humiliating.
- Late Afternoon: Wandered around Tamboerskloof. Found a ridiculously cute cafe called "Yours Truly" and immediately fell in love with its quirky vibe. Ordered a coffee, which, thank the heavens, was perfect. Spent an hour just people-watching and soaking in the energy. The sun was setting, painting the mountain in these insane shades of orange and purple. Seriously, it looked like a damn painting.
- Evening: Dinner at a restaurant my guidebook raved about, "Bree Street's Secret Gem." The food was okay, the ambiance was cool, but I swear I saw a rat scurry. Nope, never mind, it was a cat. Relieved.
Day 2: Table Mountain and the "Holy Crap, I'm Gonna Die!" Adventure
- Morning: Today, the summit! The real deal. Table Mountain. After a hearty breakfast and coffee, this was the plan. Getting to the cable car was easy enough, and the ascent? Absolutely breathtaking. The views were staggering, mind-blowing, insert all the superlatives here.
- Quirky Observation: I'm pretty sure the wind up there is trying to steal my hat.
- Mid-Morning: Hiking the plateau. Okay, so I should have probably thought about hiking shoes before. The trails were a little… rugged. My ankles are screaming. But oh my god, the plants are so gorgeous. At a point, nearly missed my footing and stumbled across a rocky ledge. I was petrified!
- Emotional Reaction: The sheer scale of it all, the dramatic cliffs, the way the clouds danced… it was just… overwhelming. I felt small, insignificant, and utterly, desperately alive. I also questioned every life choice that led me to that point, and maybe cried a little again. Fine. A lot.
- Afternoon: Finally descended via the cable car (thank God). Legs are Jell-O. Reward myself with a MASSIVE ice cream cone at a little shop near the cable car station. Pure. Bliss.
- Evening: Dinner at a seafood restaurant in Camps Bay. The food was delicious, but honestly, I was too tired to appreciate it properly. Slept like a rock.
Day 3: The Cape Peninsula and the "Penguin Overload!" Experience
- Morning: Rented a car (terrifying prospect, driving on the "wrong" side of the road). The locals are really helpful! But there was this moment while I was trying to leave that I thought I was going to crash the car.
- Mid-Morning: First the trip to the "Cape of Good Hope". The wind nearly blew me off the edge. The scenery was stunning, but I have a sneaking suspicion the pictures don't do it justice.
- Afternoon: Boulders Beach! The penguin colony. Okay, so the pictures don't do this justice either. Thousands of penguins waddling around, swimming, squawking, generally being utterly adorable. I spent probably two hours just watching them, completely mesmerized.
- Doubling Down on Experience: The experience was so surreal; the penguins waddling along the beach, their tiny feet leaving tracks in the sand, was a memory that felt so deeply and intensely emotional and happy, that it was difficult to leave.
- Late Afternoon: Driving back. The sunset over the ocean was just, ah, perfect. I've never seen anything like it.
- Evening: Had a late dinner at and collapsed into bed, feeling incredibly happy and grateful.
Day 4: Wine Country and the "I'm an Amateur Sommelier" Ruse
- Morning: Drove to the winelands. I'm not exactly a wine expert, but I'm determined to pretend.
- Mid-Morning: Wine Tasting at a lovely vineyard. The first one was a total bust. I drank my wine, but I just couldn't tell you what was wrong with it.
- Afternoon: Visited a second vineyard, then a third. Started getting a bit tipsy. The wine was good, the views were spectacular, and I started feeling like a world-class connoisseur.
- Messier Structure: The fourth vineyard was honestly a blur. There may have been some dancing. Probably some singing. Don't ask.
- Evening: Drove back to Cape Town. Ate a burger. Slept.
Day 5: District Six Museum and the "Heartbreak Hotel" Experience
- Morning: Visited the District Six Museum. It was deeply moving and thought-provoking.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: I was really, really touched by the stories and the history.
- Afternoon: Wandered around the city, did some shopping, and generally tried to absorb the atmosphere.
- Evening: Dinner at a restaurant in the Bo-Kaap neighborhood.
- Rambles: The meal was nice, then I strolled and gazed at all the colors… The architecture was beautiful and I wanted to take pictures the entire time but felt awkward taking photos of peoples' homes.
Day 6: Departure and the "Already Planning My Return" Lament
- Morning: Breakfast. Coffee. Packed up my bags. Sigh.
- Late Morning: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Bought a ridiculously expensive piece of handcrafted jewelry I probably didn't need. Zero regrets.
- Afternoon: Taxied to the airport.
- Opinionated Language: Cape Town, you magnificent, messy, crazy, beautiful city, I love you. This trip was not enough. Seriously, I could easily stay for a month… or a year!
- Natural Pacing: The airport was busy, and the flight was delayed. But honestly, I didn't care. I was already dreaming about my next visit.
- Evening: On the plane, a mix of exhaustion, sadness, and overwhelming joy. Cape Town, you definitely lived up to the hype!
Disclaimer: This itinerary is a work in progress, constantly evolving with my mood. Also, I'm probably going to miss something crucial, get lost at least three times, and eat way too much ice cream. But that's the beauty of it, isn't it? It's real. It's mine. And I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
Uncover Tainan's Hidden Gem: Anping House's Secrets Revealed!
De La Hilcremat Cape Town: The Truth (Finally!) Revealed - FAQs for the Uninitiated & the Slightly Jaded
So, De La Hilcremat... What *is* it, exactly? Sounds fancy. Or pretentious. Or both?
Okay, deep breaths. It's basically, at its heart, a seriously beautiful guest house/boutique hotel situation in Cape Town. Think gorgeous views, that classic Cape Town style (think whitewashed walls, big windows, the WORKS), and a promise of serious chill. And yeah, okay, maybe a *little* pretentious. But hey, we've all got our weaknesses, right? My weakness is definitely a panoramic sunset and a well-made cocktail, and De La Hilcremat delivers on both.
The truth? First time I heard the name, I thought, "Oh, here we go, another place trying *way* too hard." Turns out, the reality is a bit… complicated. More on that later. But yeah, fancy-ish. Expect to feel slightly underdressed in your ripped jeans, even though you *know* you look fabulous. It’s the Cape Town way, I guess.
Is it actually *worth* the money? Because let's be real, Cape Town ain't cheap.
Alright, this is the million-dollar question, isn't it? And the answer… is a resounding, complicated, and entirely subjective *maybe*. It depends. If you're looking for a hardcore budget experience, absolutely NOT. Run away. Run far, far away and book a hostel. But if you're willing to splurge a little (or a lot!), and you want something special, something *memorable*... then you might actually find yourself thinking, "Okay, I can see it."
I will say this: I initially balked at the price. I almost didn’t book it. But then, I saw the pictures (the *pictures*!). And the promise of that damn sunset. And I justified it as “self-care.” Did I regret it? Honestly? No. But did I eat instant noodles for a week after? Possibly. Worth it for the memories, I say!
What's the vibe like? Is it all just… posing?
Okay, here's where the "complicated" part comes in. There's *definitely* a posing element. Let's be honest, there's posing everywhere in Cape Town, especially in beautiful hotels. Gorgeous people, Insta-perfect everything… It's part of the charm, the problem, the reality, all rolled into one! BUT . . . it’s not *entirely* superficial.
My experience? I spent the first afternoon feeling *massively* intimidated. Everyone seemed effortlessly chic, sipping what I *suspected* were very expensive cocktails. I was clutching my phone a little too tightly, trying to look like I belonged. But then I had a really good chat with one of the staff, and the ice kinda broke.
The vibe is a weird mix of luxury and laid back. You'll see people taking selfies, yes. But you'll *also* see people genuinely enjoying themselves, chatting, laughing... It's more welcoming than I expected, and a little chaotic: Just like life!. My advice? Embrace the absurdity. Order the cocktail. Take the photo! And don't be afraid to look like you're having a blast, even if you're secretly terrified.
The views... they're legendary, right? Do they actually live up to the hype?
Oh. My. God. Seriously. Prepare your eyeballs. Yes. They absolutely, unequivocally, 100% live up to the hype. The view from the main terrace is… well, it's a *view*. You'll be looking at the ocean, the mountains, the whole damn shebang. You'll see the sunset, and you'll swear you've never seen anything so beautiful in your life. And you might actually burst into tears, I won't judge.
I remember one evening, I was sitting there, cocktail in hand (finally!), and the sun was just *sinking*. The colors were insane, pinks and oranges and purples… It was just breathtaking. I thought, "Okay, this is why I came. This is why I spent a month’s salary on this damn trip." And you know what? It was worth it. Just for that moment of pure, unadulterated, "wow." Seriously, the views are worth the price of admission *alone*.
What about the rooms? Are they as good as the pictures?
Okay, this is where things get a little… more grounded. The pictures are *good*. Very good. They're designed to make you drool. And the rooms are definitely beautiful. But it's not *quite* the same as the photos, you know? It's like… when you order food online and then it shows up and it's still delicious, but it doesn't look *exactly* like the picture.
I found my room to be a bit smaller than I expected. And the Wi-Fi was patchy at times (which, let's be honest, is a minor first-world problem, but still!). There were a few minor imperfections – a scuff mark on the wall here, a slightly wobbly table there. Nothing that ruins the experience, mind you. I’m not trying to be a total Karen here. But don't go expecting perfection. They’re lived in, not sterile. That said, the beds are AMAZING. The linen is divine. And the view from my room was still glorious. You'll be happy, but don't take it as literal perfection.
What's the food like? Because I need to eat!
The food is good. Really good. Not, like, Michelin-star, blow-your-mind, life-altering good. But reliably delicious. The breakfast buffet is particularly excellent, and the staff is super friendly. You can also generally expect some lovely lunches and maybe some dinner options depending on the season or current vibe or something.
I have one really vivid memory. One morning, I was hungover. Terrible situation. I somehow made it to breakfast, and there they were. The pastries. Flaky, buttery, perfect pastries. I ate approximately six of them, and everything was right in the world again. It was a moment of pure joy, and I’ll never forget it.
Also, they do a great coffee. I am a sucker for good coffee, and the coffee at De La Hilcremat is seriously good. So, good food. It's thereHotel Explorers

