
Escape to Paradise: Boulder Bay's Eco-Luxury Awaits in Myanmar!
Escape to Paradise: Boulder Bay – Eco-Luxury in Myanmar… Did it Actually Live Up to the Hype? (Spoiler Alert: Mostly, YES!)
Okay, so I'm back. Fresh off a trip to Myanmar, specifically Boulder Bay, and the dust (and the jet lag) is finally settling. Let me tell you, the name "Escape to Paradise" is a bold claim. I rolled my eyes a bit, thinking, "Yeah, yeah, another fancy eco-resort promising the world." BUT… and it's a big but, Boulder Bay mostly delivered. Let's get messy, shall we? Because let's be honest, real life isn't all Instagram filters and flawless perfection.
First Impressions & Getting There: The (Slightly Grueling) Journey
Okay, accessibility - let's start there. Getting to Boulder Bay is… an adventure. Not gonna lie. Myanmar isn't exactly known for its smooth roads, and this place is tucked away. Car park [free of charge], check! Airport transfer, yep. Taxi service, theoretically, but good luck finding a readily available one! You're relying on the resort's arrangements, which, while efficient, means you're not necessarily in control of the timing. This is important for my crew, as we're used to being dropped off 5 minutes after we leave the airport with luggage services, so it was quite a shock. That bumpy car ride… well, let’s just say my spine thanked me when we finally arrived. Once we got there, it turns into the hotel and the Doorman who was very welcoming.
Eco-Luxury? Yes, But With a Few Quirks!
The whole "eco-luxury" thing? They genuinely seemed to try. You could tell. Air conditioning in public area, Air conditioning in all rooms? Definitely! Free bottled water. check. Complimentary tea? Yes! The whole place is beautiful, exterior corridor where they had amazing plants. They've got all the usual suspects: Daily housekeeping, Laundry service, Dry cleaning… even Ironing service, which I totally didn't use, because, again, vacation.
Now, here's where it gets interesting. The "eco" part meant they were super conscious about waste. The bottle of water situation was interesting. They were refilling glass bottles but it wasn't a quick service, so make sure you get topped up!
Rooms: Cozy Havens or… Could Be Better?
My room was… fine! The bed was comfy enough, though the extra long bed was only a blessing for me. Blackout curtains? Absolutely essential. Coffee/tea maker, Refrigerator, Mini bar? All there. Internet access – wireless? Yep, and thank goodness for Wi-Fi [free] because I needed to upload a ridiculous amount of photos for social media. There was desk which was perfect for my laptop.
But here's the real story. The bathroom! It was nice, Private bathroom, Separate shower/bathtub, and Toiletries. But for the price of it, a few of them had Bathroom phone. Not my cup of tea. Hair dryer, check. Bathrobes? Of course! Slippers? Always a win.
Food, Glorious Food! (Most of the Time)
Okay, let's talk about food! This is where Boulder Bay REALLY shone. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was divine. Seriously, some of the best curries I've ever had. The Vegetarian restaurant options were also excellent – fresh, flavorful, and not just the token veggie dish thrown on the menu.
Restaurants, plural! But let's be real: you're mostly eating at the main restaurant. Breakfast [buffet] was the bomb. Breakfast takeaway service? Useful for grabbing a quick snack before heading out. They did a Breakfast [buffet] every morning.
There was a Poolside bar which was a lifesaver! I’m talking Coffee/tea in restaurant all-day every day.. Coffee shop and Desserts in restaurant you ask? Of course, there was!
Safety & Cleanliness: Did They Actually Follow Protocol?
They really hammered home the safety stuff. Daily disinfection in common areas? Check. Staff in masks? Check. Hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE. Anti-viral cleaning products used? Apparently. Room sanitization opt-out available, I think. Staff trained in safety protocol? Definitely. The vibe was cautious but not suffocating, which was a good balance. First aid kit and Doctor/nurse on call, though I thankfully didn't need them.
They also advertised Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Individually-wrapped food options, Safe dining setup, and Physical distancing of at least 1 meter. Honestly it felt safe.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax, and… The Gym? (Let's Be Honest)
Swimming pool yes! Swimming pool [outdoor] - HELL YES! The Pool with view was absolutely stunning, overlooking the bay. That's where I spent, oh, about 70% of my time. The Spa was also worth it. I got a Massage - total bliss. There was a Steamroom and Sauna, but I'm not a huge fan of those. I went to the Fitness center once – because, you know, Gym/fitness. It was small but functional. I took a Foot bath later, after a long day in the sun.
The Verdict: Should You Book? (With a Few Quirks!)
Absolutely.
BUT!
The journey: Prepare for the travel time. It's part of the adventure.
The small imperfections: No place is perfect. Embrace the quirks, laugh at the things that go wrong. It's part of the fun!
In short: Boulder Bay is worth it. It's a chance to disconnect, relax, and indulge in some serious eco-luxury.
Ready to Escape to Paradise? Book Your Boulder Bay Getaway Today!
Don't miss out on the ultimate eco-luxury experience! Boulder Bay offers stunning natural beauty, unparalleled relaxation, and a commitment to sustainability.
- Book now and enjoy a complimentary spa treatment!
- Take advantage of our special offer for booking multiple nights!
Click Here to Book Your Escape!
Escape to Paradise: Studio Seashell Awaits in Mamaia!
Boulder Bay Blues & Bliss: My Messy Myanmar Mishap (and Maybe Miracle)
Okay, folks, buckle up. This isn't your glossy brochure itinerary. This is real life, with all its sand-in-your-pants glory and the occasional existential crisis triggered by a particularly persistent mosquito. We're talking Boulder Bay Eco Resort in Kawthaung, Myanmar. And trust me, it's been…an experience.
Pre-Trip Panic & the Great Bag-Packing Disaster (or, My Lack of Preparation)
Before we get to the actual beach, let's be honest: I'm terrible at this. My packing? A chaotic symphony of "maybe I'll need this," "definitely NOT that," and "oh crap, where's my passport?" (Found it… tucked in a suspiciously clean sock. Don't judge.) And the research? Let's just say I focused more on cute pictures of the resort than the actual logistics. Big mistake. Huge.
Day 1: Arrival & Initial "Wow" - Followed by Mosquito Mayhem
- Morning (8:00 AM): Flight to Kawthaung. After a grueling 12 hours flight and Layover in Bangkok, We landed, hopped in a rickety taxi, and the first thing that hit me? The humidity. It was like being wrapped in a warm, damp towel. Not unpleasant, but definitely a wake-up call. I swear, my hair immediately became a chia pet.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Boat transfer to Boulder Bay. Okay, now we're talking. The ride was beautiful. Emerald water, scattered limestone islands like sleeping giants. The resort slowly appearing on the horizon. The initial "wow" factor was REAL. Seriously, Instagram-worthy. I was already planning my "sophisticated travel blogger" captions.
- Late Afternoon (3:00 PM): Check-in, unpack (sort of), and promptly discover my room has… a resident. A HUGE mosquito. It was like I'd walked into its personal buffet. Panic ensued. I spent a solid hour swatting and swearing, fueled by a healthy dose of jet lag and a rapidly disappearing sense of zen.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner at the resort restaurant, delicious food, and an attempt to enjoy the view. Unfortunately, the view was competing with the ever-present buzzing of mosquitoes. Even with copious amounts of bug repellent, I left feeling like I was a buffet for the local insects.
Day 2: Snorkels, Snags, & Sunsets (and a Fish Face-Off)
- Morning (9:00 AM): Snorkeling! The waters here… are. Insane. Crystal clear. Fish of every color imaginable. I swear I saw a grumpy-looking parrotfish judging my snorkel skills. But then, disaster. My mask kept fogging up. It was like trying to admire a coral reef through a steamed-up bathroom mirror. Frustration levels: Rising.
- Late Morning (11:00 AM): Went on a kayaking trip, I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to paddle to the distance. But I did it, and it was awesome. After about 30 mins paddling i was completely exhausted.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch, i ordered a spicy seafood soup, and it was so spicy that my mouth felt like it was on fire! I couldn't finish it, which was a bummer because it looked so good.
- Late Afternoon (5:00 PM): Sunset drinks. The sky exploded with colors. Pink, orange, purple. Absolutely breathtaking. Finally, a moment of pure, unadulterated bliss. I even managed to get a decent photo without any mosquito bites!
- Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner again! It Was delicious. I met this guy at the restaurant, and we talked for hours about life, travels, and the best way to get rid of mosquitoes.
Day 3: Island Hopping & My Spiritual Awakening (Probably Not)
- Morning (9:00 AM): Island hopping tour. We visited a few different islands, each more stunning than the last. White-sand beaches, hidden coves, and the feeling of being utterly, wonderfully lost in paradise.
- Midday (12:00 PM): Some places were so shallow that it was like walking on water. Snorkeling again. saw a moray eel. Made me jump out of my skin!
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): Back to the resort, relaxing, and I can't remember what the hell i was doing.
- Late Afternoon (5:00 PM): Sunset again!!!
Day 4: The Great Departure & the Bitter-Sweet Goodbye
- Morning (8:00 AM): Last breakfast at the resort. I felt sad to leave, but also excited for the next adventure.
- Midday (10:00 AM): Check-out, and boat transfer to the mainland.
Quirky Observations & Emotional Rambles…
- The Locals: The people of Myanmar are incredibly kind and welcoming. Their smiles are genuine, their patience limitless (especially when dealing with tourists like me).
- The Food: Delicious! Fresh seafood, spicy curries, and the most amazing fruit you've ever tasted. Just be prepared for the spice. Seriously.
- The Imperfections: The electricity flickers occasionally. The Wi-Fi is spotty. The mosquitoes are relentless. But honestly? It all adds to the charm. It's real life, not a perfectly curated Instagram feed.
- My Emotional State: A rollercoaster. Moments of pure joy, punctuated by moments of insect-induced despair. But overall? I left feeling changed. Tired, a little bit sunburned, and with a deep appreciation for the beauty of this planet.
Final Thoughts:
This trip wasn't perfect. It was messy. I made mistakes. I fought mosquitoes. I lost my phone for a few hours (panic!). But it was also… amazing. Boulder Bay is magical. Myanmar is beautiful. And I wouldn't trade this chaotic, imperfect adventure for anything.
Would I go back? Absolutely. Just maybe with a better mosquito net and a more organized packing list. And possibly a personal translator to help me navigate the inevitable language barriers. But hey, that’s part of the fun, right? Now, time to book the next trip!
Norwich Luxury Getaway: Chic City Centre Apartment (Sleeps 2)!
Escape to Paradise: Boulder Bay - You *Need* to Know This BEFORE You Go! (Trust Me)
Okay, So "Eco-Luxury" Sounds Fancy... But Like, What *Actually* Is It? Is It Just a Buzzword?
Alright, alright, let's dismantle this buzzword, shall we? Look, I went in expecting… well, I expected a LOT of mosquito netting, recycled toilet paper, and maybe a goat that was *too* friendly. (Seriously, I have issues.) Boulder Bay *tries* to be eco-luxury, and honestly? They mostly pull it off. Think less 'glamping in a yurt' and more 'luxury villa, but also, you know, consciously not wrecking the planet.' They use solar power, which is amazing until you realize the wifi gets a little… temperamental around lunchtime. (First world problems, I know.) They talk a REALLY big game about waste reduction and supporting local communities, and you *see* it. Local staff? CHECK. Sustainable sourcing of food? Seemingly, YES. Did I see one plastic straw the entire time? NOPE. (High five, Boulder Bay!) Of course, everything isn't perfect. And sometimes, the "eco" part feels… well, a little *preachy*, if I'm being brutally honest. Though, a preachy massage therapist is probably on my list of top ten things I need in my life!
Getting There: Is It a Nightmare? 'Cause, Let's Be Real, Myanmar Isn't Exactly Next Door.
Oh GOD, the journey. Okay, so it's a flight to Yangon, another flight to Kawthaung. Then a speedboat. The speedboat part? Spectacular. But the *wait* at the Kawthaung airport? Let's just say, bring a book. And maybe a small emotional support elephant. Just kidding. (Mostly.) Getting to Boulder Bay isn't, like, a quick hop on the tube. But the upside? It weeds out the riff-raff. (Said that, I'M the riff-raff.) It's an adventure. A tiring adventure. The speedboat ride? Pure magic. The turquoise water, the islands popping up like emerald jewels... Just make sure you're not, like, terribly prone to seasickness, because, well, you're on the water for a while. I had a weird moment of existential dread, wondering if I was actually going to get to my hotel. The anticipation was killing me!
The Rooms: Are the Villas Worth the Price Tag?
Okay, the villas... Yeah. Okay. Worth it? Depends on your budget. Are they stunning? Absolutely. Are they Instagram-worthy? Oh, HELL YES. Think panoramic views, private plunge pools (which, let me tell you, after a day of snorkeling, are a *godsend*), outdoor showers (which are terrifying at night because of the spiders and the feeling of being utterly exposed), and the kind of bed you just *melt* into. I, personally, loved the villa. It was my own little slice of heaven. I could sit there and stare at the waves all day and be happy. But if you're on a shoestring budget? Maybe start saving now. Or, you know, win the lottery. Honestly, they're pretty pricey. But when I saw my own bathroom with its view, my heart did a little flip. It was my happy place.
Food, Glorious Food! What's the Grub Situation?
The food… okay, the food is generally *good*. Actually, scratch that. The food can range from delicious to mind-blowing. They lean heavily on fresh seafood, and, oh my god, the curries! The Burmese curries were the real standouts for me. Seriously, I could have eaten them every single day. The restaurant is right on the beach, which is amazing. (And romantic! If you aren't sitting by yourself.) The breakfast buffet? Solid. Sometimes, though, the service can be a little… leisurely. Like, "island time" leisurely. Don't go starving! But the staff is lovely, and the chefs are incredibly talented. I *dream* of the grilled fish they served one night. Seriously, I'm considering writing a love letter to the chef. It was that good. My only complaint is that the menu could get a little repetitive after a week, but oh, well. Can't have it all, right?
Activities: Beyond Just Lounging, What Can You *Do*?
Besides the obvious (sunbathing. Swimming. Repeat.), Boulder Bay actually offers a decent variety. Snorkeling is a must. The snorkeling is mind-blowing! The coral is vibrant, and the marine life is incredible. I saw sea turtles! I had a moment where I thought I was going to get eaten by a shark (turns out, I just got too close to a moray eel, which is apparently grumpy, but not actually a shark). But the water is crystal clear, and it's a truly magical experience. You can also kayak, paddleboard, go on boat trips to other islands, and get massages. The massages are heavenly, I swear. They also have cooking classes, which I didn't actually do. I was too busy eating. (See above.) The staff can also organize tours. The bottom line? You won't be bored unless you *want* to be.
The Staff: Friendly or Annoying? (Be Honest!)
The staff? Generally, they're wonderful. Honestly, some of the nicest people I've ever met. They're genuinely warm, helpful, and eager to please. They're also pretty discreet, which I appreciated. They respect your space, which is important when you're in a super-private environment. Service can be slow, but (see above, again, about "island time") it's always friendly. Occasionally, there's a slight language barrier, but a smile goes a long way. I felt a genuine sense of kindness from everyone I interacted with. And I'm pretty sure the staff were actively trying to avoid me. They're perfect.
Bugs: The Real Dealbreaker?
Okay, this is the real question, isn't it? Bugs. I'm terrified of bugs. And yes, there are bugs. It's the jungle, people! Mosquitoes, ants, the occasional creepy-crawly (mostly harmless). The resort provides mosquito nets for the beds (thank god), and they spray the grounds regularly. I actually got a mosquito bite, which then got infected. However, I was the only one. So, there's that. I suggest plenty of insect repellent, even if you think you're tough. Especially if you're me and you're prone to overreacting. I also recommend keeping your door shut. The sheer volume of insects was a little overwhelming. But, it's part of the experience, right? Embrace the bugs. Or, you know, try.
The One Experience That Totally Blew Me Away (Hotelish

