
Ryugu's Secret: Uncover Japan's Hidden Underwater Palace!
Ryugu's Secret: Uncover Japan's Hidden Underwater Palace! - A Review (From Someone Who Actually Stayed There!)
Alright, listen up, because I just got back from Ryugu's Secret: Uncover Japan's Hidden Underwater Palace! and I’m still trying to process it. Forget those perfectly manicured travel blogs, this is the real deal. And spoiler alert: it wasn't perfect, but it was damn unforgettable.
So, let's dive in, shall we? (Get it? Dive? Underwater Palace? Okay, I'll stop.)
Accessibility - The Good, The Okay, and The "Hmm…"
First things first, for my wheelchair-using peeps out there: Wheelchair accessible? Mostly. The main areas, like the lobby and the main restaurant, were fine. Elevator? Absolutely. Facilities for disabled guests? They've got some, but it wasn't the smoothest experience. I had to flag down a staff member a few times (they were always super helpful, though!). So, while Ryugu's Secret tries, it’s not quite a 100% accessible experience. Still, kudos for the effort!
Internet Access and Connectivity - Praise the Wi-Fi Gods!
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Hallelujah! I'm talking solid, reliable Wi-Fi. Plus, Internet access – LAN if you need the old-school wired connection. My phone didn't miss a beat, which is crucial for someone like me who lives online (don't judge!). Internet services? They've got it all – easy. Wi-Fi in public areas? Ditto. Seriously, internet connectivity was a non-issue. A HUGE win.
On-Site Restaurants and Lounges - Food, Glorious Food!
Okay, let's talk fuel. Restaurants? Plural! Coffee shop? Check. Bar? You betcha. Poolside bar? Oh, yes. My bank account? Slightly weeping. But the food… mostly worth it.
- Western cuisine in restaurant was surprisingly good. I mean, I came to Japan for ramen, but sometimes a good burger just hits the spot, you know?
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. The ramen. Oh man, the ramen. I'm still dreaming about it.
- Breakfast [buffet]: HUGE. Decent. Could have been better, to be honest. I always judge a hotel by its breakfast, and this one was… well, let’s just say it was there. Asian breakfast? A much better bet. Get the miso soup. You won't regret it.
- A la carte in restaurant: Also, available. For a price.
- Room service [24-hour]: Major points for this. Perfect for those late-night snack attacks or when you just want to hide from the world in your bathrobe.
- Snack bar: Essential. For those mid-afternoon slumps where all you want is something greasy and delicious.
Things to Do and Ways to Relax - Ahhhhh, Serenity (or Lack Thereof)!
This is where Ryugu's Secret really shines. Or, well, mostly shines.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Beautiful. But… crowded. And sometimes the kids… well, let's just say they're enthusiastic swimmers.
- Spa: Bliss. Pure, unadulterated bliss. I'm talking Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, the whole shebang. Do yourself a favor and book a treatment. Seriously, I’m still floating.
- Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: All present and accounted for. Prepare to sweat out your sins.
- Fitness center/Gym/fitness: Actually pretty decent. I even used it once. (Okay, maybe twice.)
- Pool with view: Glorious. Preferably enjoyed with a cocktail from the poolside bar.
Cleanliness and Safety - Feeling Safe-ish…
Okay, let's be real: the post-pandemic world has made us all slightly germaphobic. Ryugu's Secret does its best.
- Daily disinfection in common areas. Check.
- Staff trained in safety protocol. Check.
- Hand sanitizer everywhere. Check.
- Anti-viral cleaning products. Probably. I didn't personally test them, but I saw the cleaning staff hustling.
- Hygiene certification: I didn't see anything official, but they're clearly trying.
- Rooms sanitized between stays. They claim it.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Not always easy, especially at the breakfast buffet.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Well, they said they were.
- Safe dining setup: Yes.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Hopefully!
Dining, Drinking & Snacking - Feed the Beast!
I’ve already covered the restaurants somewhat, but let's elaborate.
- Happy hour: Yes!
- Bottle of water: Plentiful (and free in the rooms).
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: Very good.
- Desserts in restaurant: Worth saving room for.
- Soup in restaurant: Solid.
- Salad in restaurant: Fresh.
The food was generally good. Not life-altering, but consistently enjoyable. The views from the poolside bar alone were worth the price of admission.
Services and Conveniences - They've Got Most of It!
- Concierge: Helpful.
- Luggage storage: No problem.
- Laundry service: Very useful (after a week of ramen-fueled adventures).
- Dry cleaning: If you’re fancy, they have it.
- Air conditioning in public area: Essential.
- Elevator: Necessary.
- Convenience store: A lifesaver for late-night snacks and forgotten toiletries.
- Daily housekeeping: Excellent. My room was always spotless.
- Doctor/nurse on call: Good to know, just in case.
- Currency exchange: Convenient.
- Meeting/banquet facilities: Present.
- Cash withdrawal: Easy.
For the Kids - Child-Friendly, Mostly
- Family/child friendly: Yep!
- Babysitting service: Available.
- Kids facilities: I didn't personally investigate, but I saw plenty of happy children.
- Kids meal: Available.
Access & Getting Around - Mostly Simple
- Airport transfer: Yes! Definitely book it.
- Car park [free of charge]: Bonus!
- Taxi service: Available.
- 24-hour front desk: Always appreciated.
- Car park [on-site]: Definitely needed
- Valet parking: available
Available in all rooms - The Essentials (and then some!)
Okay, let's talk about the rooms. Pretty standard hotel fare, but the views… jaw drops
- Air conditioning: Needed!
- Alarm clock: Standard.
- Bathrobes: Excellent.
- Blackout curtains: Essential for sleeping in.
- Coffee/tea maker: Necessary.
- Free bottled water: Nice touch.
- Hair dryer: Yup.
- In-room safe box: Good to have.
- Internet access – wireless: Great.
- Mini bar: Tempting.
- Non-smoking: Yes!
- Private bathroom: Standard.
- Refrigerator: Essential.
- Satellite/cable channels: For escaping reality.
- Seating area: Comfy.
- Shower: Works.
- Slippers: Nice.
- Soundproofing: Pretty good.
- Telephone: Still use them!
- Toiletries: Decent.
- Wake-up service: For when you inevitably oversleep.
- Wi-Fi [free]: The reason I stayed sane.
- Window that opens: A nice touch for fresh air.
The "Ryugu's Secret" Element - Now THIS Is What You're Here For!
Okay, the real reason to go to Ryugu's Secret isn't the perfectly folded towels or the reliable Wi-Fi. It's the theme. The entire hotel is designed to evoke the underwater world of Ryugu, the dragon palace from Japanese folklore.
And they nail it.
The lobby is a shimmering spectacle of blues and greens. The architecture is incredibly unique with many underwater themed rooms. Don't get me wrong, the hotel isn't perfect, there are things that could be improved. But it is truly immersive. The hallways feel like walking through a coral reef. The artwork is stunning. There are hidden details everywhere. And the views… the views are just… breathtaking.
**One single experience, Double Downed: The Tea Ceremony
Baguio Family Fun: Unbeatable Budget-Friendly Unit!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into a Ryugu no Tsukai adventure in Izu! Forget your perfectly curated Instagram feeds – this is the messy, real, and utterly human version. Consider this your travel diary of delightful disasters and unexpected joys. Let's go!
Ryugu no Tsukai: Izu, Japan – The (Likely) Unfiltered Itinerary
PRE-TRIP CHAOS (Because, let's be honest, that sets the tone)
- Weeks Before: Okay, so I thought I was being all organized, booking the ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) with the ocean view. Turns out, "ocean view" in Japanese doesn't necessarily mean "from the window." More on that later… I'm still recovering from that email exchange.
- Days Before: Panic-packing mode activated. Do I have enough socks? (Always a critical question). Did I accidentally pack that super embarrassing t-shirt from college? (Almost definitely). Plus, frantic attempts to learn a few basic Japanese phrases. "Konnichiwa" and "arigato" and pray for the best.
DAY 1: Arrival & High-Level Hysteria (and possibly a little bit of seasickness)
Morning (5:00 AM): The alarm goes off. I curse under my breath. "Why did I decide to do this," I think to myself. But, this is for the ocean, right? (Yes, I am an ocean person).
Morning (9:00 AM): Train ride from Tokyo to Izu. The views are stunning. I mean, seriously stunning. Lush green hills, glimpses of the sparkling ocean – it's like a postcard come to life. Already slightly emotional.
Afternoon (1:00 PM): Arrived at Shimoda! I get off the train and take a look around. The air feels cleaner than the train.
Afternoon (2:00 PM): Check in to the ryokan. The "ocean view" is technically correct. It's from the… outdoor bath shared with a ton of people, in the middle of the night. I'm trying to be Zen about it but the truth is that I am already annoyed.
Afternoon (3:00 PM): Lunch! I go for the fresh seafood, after a long train ride I was certainly hungry. I am very happy to be here.
Afternoon (4:00 PM): Ok, so the food was amazing, but it feels like I'm going to fall asleep on the floor. I decide to walk around for a bit and get some shops.
Evening (6:00 PM): Okay, so the onsen (hot spring) situation is a little… intense for a first-timer. I did enjoy it though and a little bit of relaxing.
- Anecdote: Picture this: me, awkwardly trying to navigate the onsen etiquette. Scrubbing myself within an inch of my life because I was terrified of offending someone. Then, slipping on the wet floor and nearly taking out a tiny old lady. She just chuckled, which was a massive relief. My heart rate finally returns to normal after having a meal at night.
DAY 2: Diving Deep (Literally and Figuratively)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up early! I try to sneak a peak through the window to see the so called ocean view. There is nothing to see, I must've been dreaming, go back to sleep.
- Morning (9:00 AM): The truth is, I have been looking for this moment since I decided to come here. I'm going to dive with the Ryugu no Tsukai!
- Morning (9:30 AM): Alright, I'M READY! I get into the water. It's freezing I can't breathe. I'm supposed to be looking for these fishes, but I can't even see clearly.
- Morning (10:30 AM): My dive instructor is the chillest guy ever and, as expected, I didn't end up seeing any Ryugu no Tsukai.
- Emotional Reaction: Exhaustion! I felt the initial disappointment of not spotting the fish. I went for the experience of getting to see them, and I didn't. I felt a weird disappointment to have prepared for something, and it not happening. I felt the joy of being down there though, and that quickly takes over.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM): I try to enjoy a snack, but I'm still tired from the dive. I take the time to enjoy the view. It'll be ok, I think.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): So, I'm rambling here, because I actually did see them! I remember I saw one, and I am absolutely awestruck.
- Quirky Observation: The absolute silence underwater is incredible. It's like you're in your own little bubble, the whole world muted. Except for the occasional panicked bubbles from yours truly, forgetting how to breathe.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): The pictures. I have the pictures!! They are the worst pictures in the world, but I managed to get some good ones.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM): After diving I walked along the coast, and found a cafe. I sat and relaxed. I was so happy.
- Evening (7:00 PM): I feel completely exhausted after the events of the day, and sleep early.
DAY 3: Coastal Exploration & Existential Seafood Crisis
- Morning (9:00 AM): Today, I decided to discover more of the coast. The views are absolutely breathtaking.
- Anecdote: Found a hidden beach. It was a scene of pure, unadulterated beauty. I ended up spending a solid hour just doing nothing but sitting and staring at the ocean. My brain felt like it was finally hitting the refresh button.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM): Lunch time, and the seafood. I order something I think is a local specialty, and then stare blankly at the menu trying to translate. I have no idea what I ordered.
- Quirky Observation: "Don't be a tourist," I told myself. "Embrace the unknown!" Well… embracing the unknown tastes a lot like… (I still have no idea what it was, but it was delicious).
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): I go back to the ryokan: I pack most of my stuff, go to sleep, and enjoy the rest of the evening.
- Evening (7:00 PM): The last meal in Izu. It's a sad moment.
- Evening (8:00 PM): I go to sleep.
DAY 4: Goodbye, Izu! (And the inevitable post-trip blues)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Breakfast, and time to say goodbye. I'm not ready.
- Morning (9:00 AM): I go to the train station.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): I am back at home, and I am sad.
Post-Trip Ramblings:
- The Food: Japanese food is just. So. Good. I've been trying to recreate some of the dishes at home, with limited success so far. My kitchen kinda looks like a food crime scene.
- The Culture: I was worried about being that clueless tourist, but the people were so kind and patient. They made me feel welcome even when I was butchering their language.
- The Sea Serpent: Well, I didn't catch a glimpse of the Ryugu no Tsukai on video but I did see one! What a wonderful experience.
- The Emotions: The whole experience was everything. It was a rollercoaster of emotions, from the sheer joy of those ocean views to the mild panic of the onsen. But mostly, it was a reminder to get out there, embrace the messy, and let life surprise you.
Would I go back? In a heartbeat. And next time, I'm bringing a translator app and maybe some Dramamine. And definitely more socks. Until next time, Izu!
Bowmanville Getaway: Book Your Comfort Inn & Suites Now!
Ryugu's Secret: Uncover Japan's Hidden Underwater Palace! - A FAQ (That Might Just Be Me Rambling)
Okay, So, Ryugu? Underwater Palace? Is This Real Life?
Let's get the big question out of the way first, shall we? I'm not going to lie, it's not *exactly* what you'd imagine. Picture this: you're scrolling through Instagram at 3 am, fueled by instant ramen, and you stumble upon a promotional video. Underwater palace? Japan? I thought, "Oh, great, another VR experience promising the moon." But actually, it's... *amazing*. Or, at least, it *was* when I first experienced it. My expectations were lower than the Mariana Trench, but they still managed to blow them out of the water, because, you know… underwater. It's less real-life, more a digital dreamscape constructed of history, legends, and some seriously talented creators. It’s so close, you *almost* smell the ocean spray. Almost. You've been warned.
What Exactly *Is* Ryugu's Secret? Is it a ride? A museum? A cult initiation?
Okay, so maybe I oversold the whole “real” thing. It’s a multimedia experience. Think of it like… a meticulously crafted theatrical production, but instead of a stage, you're surrounded by digital projections, VR elements, and ancient artifacts. And the story? Oh, the story. Think Japanese folklore, mythical creatures, a serious dose of history, and gorgeous visuals that made me, a grown woman who's seen some stuff, gasp more than a few times. But, honestly? Describing it feels a bit… insufficient. It's like trying to explain the color blue to someone who's never seen it. You just have to *experience* it. And hey, I might have shed a tear or two. Don't judge!
Is it Actually *Scary*? I Hate Scary Things.
Alright, alright, anxiety is real, I get it. Especially when talking about underwater... anything. No, there are no jump scares. No ghouls popping out. But, and this is important, there's an underlying… *weight*. The story itself grapples with themes of loss and longing, and the visual effects… let's just say they're intense at times. The darkness of the ocean is also very much a thing. You're surrounded by water, remember? You can get a little claustrophobic, or feel a chill... It depends on how sensitive you are to atmospheric stuff. If you're the type who cries at car commercials, pack tissues. But it wasn’t scary in a truly terrifying way, you know? It's more about the emotional journey. And the history... It gets really serious sometimes.
How Long Does the Experience Last? I Have a Short Attention Span, and a Small Bladder.
Okay, real talk. About an hour, give or take. But listen up. This is where the experience falls apart a bit, or maybe just where it really hits the human side of things. When I went – and this is a confession – I was so hyped, so ready to dive into the story, that I chugged a litre of water on the way. And, let me tell you, the underwater kingdom is *not* where you want to be when nature calls. So, number one rule: HIT THE BATHROOM BEFORE YOU GO IN. Seriously. Or, you will suffer. You have been warned. The pre-show and post-show stuff can add a bit of time, so just plan accordingly.
Should I take my kids? They're... well, they're *kids*.
Ugh, the eternal question. It depends. Are your children, bless their hearts, the type to sit still and be fascinated? Or prone to screaming and asking a million questions at the most inopportune moments? The content itself is generally appropriate, but the pacing… it's not exactly geared towards the fidgety. A lot of history is presented, and a lot of detail. One of my kids, I am so glad I did not take. The other… yeah, he might have loved it. It’s genuinely beautiful, but be honest with yourself about your kids. You know them best (or you *should*!).
Is it worth the money?
Okay, let’s get to the nitty-gritty: the cost. It's not a bargain-basementTop Places To Stay

